Monday 26 November 2012

A blue and Silver Trio

Its that time of year when we need to make lots of cards so anything that makes it more enjoyable and easier is welcome.  The splodgeaway mat certainly made brayering a lot easier.  I began this set of cards with the Splodgeaway monthly challenge in mind and would like to enter with the snowflake card below centre.  I'd also like to enter this into the WOW embossing powder November challenge .

 
For the snowflake card I stamped background snowflakes (Sheena Douglas) with versamark watermark ink onto smoothe cardstock and then brayered over with Stonewash archival ink.  I can honestly say I had never used the brayer with the splodgeaway mat before yesterday and it made brayering so much easier.  I wasn't sure how others use it but I inked the brayer first then worked the ink onto the mat before applying it to the paper.  Because I wanted a deep blue for the snowflakes to shine through I did lightly reink the brayer once.  After brayering I spritzed some water into my hand and flicked it over the card, left it for a few seconds before blotting with kitchen towel to give another layer of snowflakes.  I stamped the snowflakes and sentiment with metallic silver WOW embossing powder and after layering onto the card added the layered snowflake topper (Kanban).
 
 
To make the other two cards I used Splodgeaways Christmas Wonderland StenScape mask. For the left hand card I sponged through the sleigh on the mask with faded jeans distress ink then heat embossed with Wow white pearl embossing powder which is translucent allowing the colour beneath to shine through, heating from below gives a smoother finish.  The sentiment was stamped using another Sheena Douglas stamp and embossed with WOW metallic silver.  The card on the right was done by layering parts of the stenscape mask starting with the image at the front (sleigh) inked and heat embossed as before but inked and embossed twice to give better depth. Then I inked and embossed the silver on the tree brushing off any silver that overlapped the reindeer so the tree appears behind them.  Next I inked the main body of the tree using iced spruce distress.  The row of buildings in the background was the next layer inked through the mask with a faded jeans first blotting the sponge to make it paler.  I added the windows by layering on the mask, blotting through with just water to remove the blue then inking with a yellow.  Finally I made a mask for the moon (the wow powder pot was an ideal size)  and brayered over the whole card using the edges of the stenscape mask to add some hilly bits to the ground. 
 
I think it took me longer to blog the instructions for the third card than it did to make it so please don't be afraid to try it.
 
I'd also like to enter this trio into the WOW embossing powder November challenge if three projects together is permitted :)

3 comments:

  1. Lovely card and that blue is so vibrant. Thank you for joining in the splodgeaway challenge and good luck.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good old spritz and flick used very nicely here Jassy! Thanks for entering the WOW! Embossing Powder November Challenge with this fab card.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so vibrant a lovely card thanks for joining in our splodgeaway challenge and best of luck x

    ReplyDelete